Four Great Things About the Matt Cassel Trade

While there have been calls for an investigation and loud lamenting throughout Patriot land and the NFL in general over the last 24 hours, we believe that the Cassel/Vrabel trade was great for the Patriots. Here is why:

1. Compensation – The Patriots basically received a 1st Round Draft pick that we can pay like a 2nd Rounder. The difference between the #34 and the #32 is small in the football sense, but high in the psychological sense, almost how Mrs. NE Patriots Draft won’t buy something for $100, but will for $99.

2. Salary Cap Room – $18 Million is nothing to sneeze at. It appears that the Patriots are already moving to extend Vince Wilfork and sign a veteran at the CB position.

3. Dictation – Mike Vrabel was going to be cut if he wasn’t traded. Due to the trade, we kept him away from a divisional rival (Jets/Dolphins) where he could do damage against the Patriots for years to come. Matt Cassel could have gone to the Jets, Bucs, Broncos, or another playoff caliber team. Moving him to KC was a safe spot.

4. Media – I always love it when Coach Belichick draws the ire of the national media, including ass-hats like Jay Mariotti. If anyone truly thinks that Bill did the Chiefs and Scott Pioli a favor at the expense of the New England Patriots, they need to remember that they are dealing with a coach who will do dang near anything to win.

Like What You Read? – Subscribe to NE Patriots Draft!

Tags: Trade

7 Responses to “Four Great Things About the Matt Cassel Trade”

1. Anonymous says:

I think they could have gotten more,but I also think the deal was done, just waiting for physical before the other teams jumped in,and thats why only a second.

2. Anonymous says:

Great article, the Patriots did OK, but I would have liked a conditional 2010 pick too

3. Anonymous says:

This is the most intelligent written article concerning this matter yet. Spot on Sir! Jay Mariottttttto go kill himself is semi-retard, if not full retard. What do you think they will pick up with the first two picks this year. I’m pulling for Connor Barwin, myself. I really hope they sign Bodden over Springs. I don’t think that is going to happen now though.

4. Anonymous says:

I agree Vrabel is getting old he lost a step, if cassel turns into scott mitchel all the cry babys will shut up. Does anyone really miss lawyer milloy, did not think so, bledsoe? my point exactly.

5. Bruce Hall says:

Although the Patriots did not get fleeced they did get short changed. All of the points made in this point are correct and extremely valid. I would like to add that I am in favor of the trade overall. However, my problem with this trade is that it does not represent market value. Why? The Vikings gave up a 4th for Sage Rosenfells. I do not believe that Cassel/Vrabel was worth a 1st round (#3) pick. The deal should have been the KC 2nd round pick and a conditional 2010 pick based on performances (realistically say it ends up being a mid 3rd). Of course as with most moves (e.g. Tebuckey Jones) the Patriots make we won’t know how this one turns out for a couple of seasons.

6. Admin says:

How so? You’d rather that Vrabel is wearing green and Cassel and McDaniels/Cassel are wearing Orange/Blue?

7. Anonymous says:

Say all you want, the Patriots got fleeced.